Sunday, November 8, 2009

Epic Mickey = Epic Complaints

Folks, there is a wind of change coming on that many of you aren't satisfied with, and it's not just the passing of the Health Care bill in the House. Oh no, it's Mickey's redesign. Or rather, his return to his classic look in Epic Mickey.

(Image provided by Disney Interactive)

Just take alook at it. That's not the Mickey I remembered. It looks like they're turning him into a Sonic the Hedgehog character, even though they are using his 1930s look. I mean, just take alook at it.



That hideous image makes him look like some ghost that wants to haunt my child's dream. I dunno what Walt Disney was thinking giving a mouse a white face. I mean, it worked for a rabbit like Oswald. That's why I have my collection of Classic Mickey Mouse cartoons under lock and key, so I may never taint my childhood with my childhood ever again. Thankfully, his redesign in 1939 makes him scare less kids. And less is more.



Now there's the Mickey that I remembered. One who's suppose to entertain, not scare, my kids. I mean, Mickey Mouse is an American icon. But with this return to his pre-1939 look, it will make him less of an American icon than say, Glenn Beck.



Now isn't that the face of a cute baby? A cute whiny baby.

Goo goo. Gah gah. WAAAAAAH! Mommy, Barack Obama is trying to scare me with a public option. Please give me the status quo bottle so I can ward off evil. WAAAAAH!(Boy I'm gonna get ripped apart for that).

But moving right along, it seems I'm not the only one who's against returning Mickey to his roots. It seems alot of you are also against this. I have sympathy with you and personally, this kind of action puts the Tea Party Activists to shame.

Seems to me the Disney folks might have watched the South Park purity ring episode and thought, "Yes! That's what we want Mickey Mouse to be!"

Oh my god, they killed Donald. You bastards!

Leave Mickey Alone....He looks demonic if this is his spirit we have enough daunting spirits already and the creators have tunnel vision

MONSTER! MONSTER!

Mickey Mouse is an icon of fun and fantasy...to make him "edgy" by the Walt Disney Company is degrading to their image as a family friendly company...in the long run, this could alienate many Disney followers who spend money for their films, DVD's and theme parks. This may backfire bigtime!!

By fun and fantasy, you mean staying at home while Pluto goes fetch the paper for you.

What a joke! lol Now Mickey is going to be evil? The world is once again turning to ****!

Mickey's going evil? IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Make the good Bad....Seems like its the way of the world any more> I will watch the CLASSIC Micky on You tube with my Granddaughter!
Goodness knows we need some Goodness in the world!!


Boy is that poster in for a big surprise when he/she finds out said classics resemble Epic Mickey

Great - a menacing Mickey Mouse. Hey money talks, let's wait and see what happens. Betcha this gets dropped like a hot potato when it gets additional pub in the real world where the silent majority still have some morals and a lot more clout than 'gamers'.

Yeah. Let's hope this fails so we can have a spin-off of Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse, all while ignoring the fact that there was Kingdom Hearts.

I don't want to see a more "edgier Mickey Mouse", hate it!

Who got the bright idea of lowering the quality of Mickey to match the characters of today. Leave well enough alone.


Yeah. That's like giving Shadow the Hedgehog a gun. Next thing you'll know, they'll give Mickey Mouse a gun in a future game. Wait? Are you telling me there were shorts where Mickey had a gun? Well...next post please.

walt is rolling in his grave because of this . what else can we take that is good and make it bad ? we tear apart at every fiber in this country that stands for something good and make it have a "bad" side. sorry no return disney trip for me, if they wanted a "mischievous mouse" - then create a new character, but leave "Mickey" alone. Next "Minnie" will be a **** or **** of some kind. damn u for ruining another american icon.

Yeah. We don't want Minnie to become a dancer ala the Gallopin Gaucho.

Lameness, thy name is Disney.

If they wanted to give Mickey an (*snort*) "edge", then they should have gone with Moe the Rat. If you recall the longshoremen's strike, you'll know what I'm talking about.


And I don't really want to know.

Why do this to poor 'ol Mickey? If the wanted a really edgy character, they could have used "Mickey Rat" from the old 1970s ZAP comics! Instead, they risk alienating a devoted core of fans who aren't interested in seeing Mickey get pissed off...

Yeah. Let's go and rip off someone else's character for Disney's new edgier, yet classic, look.

What the hell? I grew up with disney, especially Mickey mouse. He was my childhood hero, man, and now the anti-Semitic creator of this loving character is going to try to make mickey into a blood or a crip. I may be young, but I say we boycott Walt Disney and all of their ****. everybody loved disney until they started to add this "show business." Mickey was loved because he was funny, but now this piece of crap??? like I said, boycott disney and return the good old days to Cartoons!

Yeah. We should return to the good ol days because they were violent, raunchy, and stereotypical.

is'nt there enough violence and hatered in the world. now you have to make cute little mickey look the same. kids look up to this happy little critters. what now kids are going to have the same mean look on thier faces. you guys are sick and out of your minds. we need more happy things and looks in todays sick world. what's wrong with you!!!!!!!

Yeah. I think we all need a hug. But then you'll yell at me and tell me to back off

PLEASE DON'T I LIKE THE NICE MICKEY! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A CHILDREN'S CHARACTER!:(

Quoting Chris Crocker: LEAVE HIM ALONE! LEAVE MICKEY MOUSE ALONE! WAAAAH!

OH, please! Disney has gone way to far. Mickey is a good guy and don't wreck it! If disney does this and makes a new mickey like they are talking. I will forbid my children from every watching Mickey again. I have a 2 1/2 year old who totally adores Mickey Mouse and everything is Mickey. I am totally against this move - Disney does this than I will change what my children watch and they will only be able to watch Baby First TV and nothing else.

Glad she doesn't let her child watch Sesame Street

My wife says he looks angry....I say he now looks like Sonic the Hedghog.....We both say our children won't be contributing to Disney's pockets any longer if they are gonna turn Mickey into a character in need of anger management classes, thats Donalds role:(

Actually, I have an objection to this. I'd say he looks more like Shadow the Hedgehog



Bad Disney! Bad, bad, Disney. We really don't need a bad Mickey. Why not a naughty Minnie, or a Devilish Daisy. Better still, a f---edup Goofy. See where I'm coming from. Please use some other character, like Cruella or Snow White's mirror witch.

Yeah. We should use those because they are underused and neglected.

LEAVE "MICKEY MOUSE" ALONE.Hot WALT DISNEY WORLD RE-WORKED THE "JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION (KODAK) IN E.P.C.O.T. A VERY BIG MISTAKE. IT IS NOT THE SAME. DREAMFINDER AND FIGMENT WERE ASSETS LOST IN THE CHANGE.Sad. DISNEY IS GETTING MARVEL BRAND. GO AN DO SOMETHING WITH THEM AND LEAVE "MICKEY ALONE"

Yeah. They should do something with the Marvel image like Marvel Superhero Squad.

Please leave Mickey alone!! Let my 2 yr old boy grew up like we did, with that friendly face in our t-shirts

Not to mention coffee mugs and placemats.

This is a fail!! they should NOT in any way change Mickey Mouse. My son loves Mickey, he shouldn't be afraid of him. I'm all up for darker things but having Mickey as a darker character wouldn't be a good thing. Lolipops, gumdrops and sunshine and rainbows. You know. Big no!

Next thing you'll know, they'll be downing tons of sugar over this

NO NO NO!
Mickey was my FAVORITE CARTOON as a toddler and it breaks my heart that my niece has no interest in him. This is going to make it 10 times worse.
Little kids dont care for demented looking mice and no teenager is going to become a mickey convert just because he has a darker side :-/


Like Kingdom Hearts didn't do that.

So yeah. In the end, this results in a Disneyfication of the Tea Party that I salute for going against the public option and defending the insurance companies that puts profits over people. Fellow Mickey Mouse fans, if you oppose this nostalgic take on Mickey Mouse that will ruin our childhoods because its like our childhood, you will take arms against this Mouse design.

Works Cited:
MSN Money
New York Times
Perez Hilton

If you want more information on Mickey Mouse classic cartoons, go to Disney Shorts

2 comments:

  1. The mere fact that one of your sources is Perez Hilton tells us that you have no idea what you're talking about. You read a few headlines, see one screenshot, and flip out? Calm down. I suggest you pick up the latest issue of GameInformer magazine and get your facts straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen said Gameinformer magazine. I mainly made this post just for the purpose of the lulz of those Mickey Mouse fans going crazy over the Epic Mickey announcement.

    ReplyDelete